Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Can popular culture be used in schools to enhance education?


     Can popular culture be used in schools to enhance education? My answer would be yes. I would surmise that if students were to have a class that they could actually consider fun, then they might be more apt to attend school or attend more classes. When I think of popular culture, the title alone makes it sound like something that could be fun learning. 
Learning about popular culture could definitely be used to enhance education. Not only could students learn about things that they would be familiar with, like music, movies, television, or clothing, they could learn about stuff they would not be familiar with for example, food, art, or popular culture within a certain ethnic group. If students learned about aspects of American popular culture then they would be able to know more about the people and the country they live in. 
     Thomas A. Fain, Jr. says, “We will be more effective as educators if we integrate the study of the popular culture with traditional education. Doing so will result in making our youth’s education more meaningful, more relevant to the world in which they live, and will allow our youth to truly understand more of what they learn.”  This statement I think sums up what I believe. One thing I like about college is that you mostly take classes that will be relevant to the degree you want. I think that relevance is important. If what students learn in a classroom is relevant, they have the potential to learn more, than if what they learn is not relevant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment